Re: Ejournals and ILL

Hi Beth,

We have only one license that permits us to send the electronic
copy of the article from the database. Since other agreements
specify that we may use a print copy for interlibrary loan
purposes, we print a copy of the pdf from the database, then scan
and send the document through Ariel, as is our usual practice.

Sue Nelson
Instructional Services Librarian
Snowden Library
Lycoming College
Williamsport, PA 17701
(570) 321-4352
nelson@lycoming.edu

>>> "Beth Jacoby" <bjacoby@ycp.edu> 2/25/2008 6:48 PM >>>

I'd like to hear how other libraries are handling interlibrary
loan transactions for online journal articles when the license
agreement forbids electronic transmission of the article.  We
recently signed two separate license agreements which, according
to my interpretation, do not allow us to fulfill ILL requests
unless we print out the article and send it via snail mail.

Wording of the license from the first publisher: "The Subscriber
may print and deliver Excerpts to fulfill requests as part of the
practice commonly known as 'interlibrary loan' from
non-commercial libraries located within the same country as the
Subscriber."

Wording of the license from the second publisher: "The
subscribing Institution's library facilities are permitted to use
printouts from the electronic versions of the Journals, but not
manipulable electronic files, for the purpose of inter-library
loan, subject to the limitations of Section 108 of the Copyright
Act of 1976 and the CONTU Guidelines related thereto."

If we get an ILL request for an article we have only in print,
our current practice is to scan the article and send it to the
requesting library as a PDF document.  As I interpret these
licenses, we may neither send the article from the e-version nor
scan the print and send it as a PDF for ILL purposes.

1.	How do you interpret these clauses?
2.	Would you consider a PDF file as "manipulable"?
3.	Have you had any success in negotiating more liberal ILL clauses?

Beth Jacoby
Collection Development Librarian
Schmidt Library
York College of Pennsylvania