Re: Harvard Faculty Adopts OA Requirement

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Anthony Watkinson wrote:

I have googled to find the actual resolution that was voted on but to no avail though a lot of people seem to have commented. How do they know?
Dear Anthony,

Here is a link to the link:

http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/fullinfo.php?inst=Harvard%20University%20Faculty%20of%20Arts%20and%20Sciences

There is mention of a waiver which is presumably an opt-out but if there is a mandate and a waiver is that not a recommended but not mandated arrangement.
You are right. A mandate with an opt-out is not a mandate. But I hope that can still be patched up, to make immediate deposit mandatory, without opt-out (ID/OA), so only the copyright-retention can be opted out of.

http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/362-guid.html

Scholars are encouraged to deposit but they may decide not to - or is this something different?
Having to opt out is bit more than not having to do it at all. But mandating ID/OA without opt-out is optimal.

Stevan Harnad