From: <Joachim.Meier@ptb.de>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 4:28 PM
Subject: OA as provision against salami and double publishing

This mail of Hamaker adresses a consistent problem of scientific publishing: "double" (threefold, ...) publishing and "salami" publishing. Salami publishing is the practice of publishing almost the same content with minor changes / extensions in different journals / proceedings.

I remember from my own practice as scientist that one time I found four articles from the same author group, where the content of the articles (not the formulation of the text) was almost the same. In comparision to the oldest of these four articles the newest one revealed no new scientific evidence. As I ordered two of them by ILL, I was not very pleased to discover that this effort was in vain. To discover two very similar articles from the same author / author group was an often experience of mine.

Imagine you are looking forward to new evidence from the second article, but then you discover that it was too bad about the time it took to get and to read it. Well organized OA could be an efficient provision against salami publishing and double publishing. The earlier the preprint is available for open access the more efficient salami publishing and double publishing can be detected and prevented by peer reviewers.

The advantages are obvious:
-) peer reviewers save time, which they could invest into a more rigorous
review of unique articles
-) readers save time and money (in case of ILL or document ordering)
-) scientists save time to write articles of better quality
-) publishers save time and resources, as the number of articles to
publish will decrease or at least rise less than before OA
-) libraries may save shelf space in the case of printed volumes
-) libraries may save money if subscription fees will follow falling
publication numbers
-) database producers like CA, INSPEC, .. will save time for not to index
redundant articles
-) ...

These are arguments for Green Road OA and in that way GR-OA will never get superfluous. GR-OA has the potential to become an indispensable assistant for peer reviewers.

Greetings
Joachim Meier

P.S.: As my English is far from beeing perfect, I hope that my text is not so faulty to be misunderstood. And to prevent some criticism: We (PTB, the National Metrology Institute of Germany) have signed the Berlin Declaration on Open Access, we run an institutional bibliography (http://www.ptb.de/en/publikationen/_publica.html) and we are working for an IR with OAI-PMH interface. ____________________________________________________

Dr.-Ing. Joachim E. Meier
Head of Library
Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) (http://www.ptb.de)
PF 3345 Tel. +49-531-592-8131
38023 Braunschweig Fax. +49-531-592-8137
GERMANY E-mail: Joachim.Meier@ptb.de

"Hamaker, Charles" <cahamake@uncc.edu> wrote:

Researchers Suggest Rising Number of "Duplicate" Articles in
Medline Database

http://www.libraryjournal.com/info/CA6525412.html?nid=2673#news3

As if there isn't enough information to sift through on the web,
the journal Nature this week reported that as many as 200,000 of
the 17 million articles in the Medline database could be
duplicates, "either plagiarized or republished by the same author
in different journals."

Using text-matching software, researchers Mounir Errami and
Harold 'Skip' Garner at the University of Texas Southwestern
Medical Center searched for "highly-similar abstracts" in a
sample of 62,000 randomly-selected abstracts published since
1995, finding 421 possible duplicates. "In general, the
duplication of scientific articles has largely been ignored by
the gatekeepers of scientific information-the publishers and
database curators," the authors note in their paper. "Very few
journal editors attempt to systematically detect duplicates at
the time of submission."

Medline indexes over 5000 journals published in the United States
and more than 80 other countries worldwide. The authors suggest
that "rising duplicate publication rates" is a global phenomenon
possibly driven by a number of factors including "the explosion
in the number of journals with online content, increasing
opportunities for unethical copying, and a body of literature
growing so fast that the risk of being detected seems to
diminish." Paraphrasing Dickens, the authors say that "in the
world of biomedical publications, 'it is the best of times, it is
the worst of times.' Scientific productivity, as measured by
scholarly publication rates, is at an all-time high. However,
high-profile cases of scientific misconduct remind us that not
all those publications are to be trusted."

####