Re: Book Refereeing (fwd)

Although I do not think that monograph royalties matter so much to authors as Stevan seems to believe, I agree that imposing a mandate on authors of monographs would be a bit difficult at this time in history. However, when books are subsidized, as they are in Canada by the ASPP (about 1.5 million dollars per year, $8,000 per accepted title), I believe that requiring an electronic version to be placed in Open Access is reasonable. It is all the more reasonable that, from what I have learnt, Yale U. Press does exactly this with $10,000 subsidies from a foundation. Also, ANU in Australia and HSRC in South Africa both provide free books in electronic format and we all read Jean Kempf's announcement yesterday in American Scientist about OApen in Europe.

I also believe that when a subsidized, peer-reviewed, monograph goes out of print, with no prospect of second editions, it should be digitized and made OA. This does not mean a change of ownership, only a change of licensing. In fact, doing so would allow university presses to gauge the demand for these books and it might warrant the development of a print-on-demand industry for those who want paper. Of course, the rapid progress of e-ink and light-reflected interfaces may well announce the end of paper altogether and make us shift radically into really functuional e-documents. The page, after all, has been the line of defence of print, as J.C. R. Licklider saw it as early as 1965 in his Libraries of the Future.

Best,

jc