Re: Book refereeing and journal refereeing

Sandy's posting and mine and the experience of numerous others
confirm that books are seriously peer reviewed.  Whether to
include them in OA "mandates" is Stevan Harnad's question, and
since I regard such mandates with skepticism, that question
doesn't concern me.  I am struck by the assertion that "all
authors would want OA for their articles" if certain conditions
are met.  That's an interesting hypothesis, but I would simply
underscore that the number of authors who currently *do* want OA
for their articles is low enough that Harnad and others recommend
they be coerced to achieve the goal.  That fundamental
disjuncture is important to understand and is advanced by
empirical work, not by thought experiments.

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown