Re: European Research Council Mandate

"Books are not peer-reviewed." That's an astonishing statement. Every
book published by every university press that is a member of the
Association of American University Presses has to be peer-reviewed
because the guidelines of the AAUP require that member presses
maintain such a practice as a condition of membership.  Any scholar
with a book published by a university press would most certainly list
it under "peer-reviewed publications."

It may not be universally true that books published by commercial
publishers are peer-reviewed, simply because no such peer-review
practice is mandated for them as it is for university presses. But I
know that many commercial publishers do conduct some type of peer
review also (though perhaps with more of a focus on identifying
viable markets than on the niceties of scholarship). Others
representing such publishers on this list can speak for their own
houses.

P.S. Notice that I said "published" rather than "distributed." Not
all books distributed by presses are necessarily peer reviewed by the
press distributing them--as the recent imbroglio surrounding
Michigan's distribution of a book from Pluto Press vividly
demonstrated.

--
Sanford G. Thatcher, Director
Penn State University Press

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)