RE: Google Print - Peter Brantley in Chronicle of Higher Ed

Well spotted, Bernie.  Looks to me like a classic example of "I think this
is very bad because, er . . ."

Many years ago when I catalogued new books for a living I used to feel deep
background unease that however long I spent on subject analysis neither I
nor library catalogue technology was remotely capable of coming up with an
adequate pointer to the subject content of a 350 page academic monograph.
This was particularly true about disciplines like, dare I say it, sociology
books which aren't always "about" anything in the sense that the Dewey
classification (and others) seems to demand.

Back in the mid 70s I never imagined a situation when digitising and
networking would be feasible, but while it might bring the demise of
scholarly libraries as we've known them, it's hard to imagine anything that
would be a more effective start in bringing the masses flooding into the
cultural and scientific archive.

Tony

Tony McSean
+44  7946 291780