Re: European Research Council Mandate Green OA Self-Archiving

One would think, then, that the language of the ERC statement could have been more precise: "peer-reviewed publications" is a general term that normally would be thought, in an academic context, to include all types of publications.

Sandy Thatcher

No, neither the ERC Green OA Self-Archiving Mandate nor the NIH Green OA Self-Archiving Mandate applies to books. (Nor do the RCUK mandates, nor the university and departmental mandates, nor any of the 35 mandates adopted and the 8 proposed worldwide so far:http://www.eprints.org/signup/fulllist.php.) They all apply only to peer- reviewed journal-articles.

Book self-archiving cannot and should not be mandated, for the contrary of much the same reasons peer-reviewed journal articles can and should be.

Stevan Harnad