Re: European Research Council Mandates Green OA Self-Archiving

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Ari Belenkiy wrote:

I am likely missing the point here:

"The ERC requires that all peer-reviewed publications from ERC-funded research projects be deposited on publication into an appropriate research repository where available, such as PubMed Central, ArXiv or an institutional repository, and subsequently made Open Access within 6 months of publication."
To place the paper on ArXiv is not the same as to provide an "Open Access"?

Doesn't the former and latter just mean: "availability to all"?

And if a publisher objects to a 6-month period and insists on 12-month one, for example? I should not sign the deal or I am defended by law if I break it?
The point is that the ERC (and others) have wisely opted for the Immediate-Deposit/Optional-Access (ID/OA) Mandate (or what Peter Suber calls the Dual Deposit/Release Mandate), in which immediate deposit (of the final, peer-reviewed draft, immediately upon acceptance for publication) is mandatory, but the date at which access to that deposit is set as Open Access (full-text and metadata accessible webwide) rather than Closed Access (metadata accessible webwide, but not yet the full text) may be delayed, if there is a publisher embargo (but the allowable embargo period is capped at a maximum of 6 months by the ERC, 12 months by NIH).

This successfully sidelines all copyright issues, which are relegated to the access-setting, not the deposit.

(Note that among the many other reasons in favor of -- and the complete absence of reasons against -- stipulating that the locus of deposit should be the researcher's institutional repository (IR), and *not* one of the central-repository (CR) options [Deposit Institutionally, Harvest Centrally], is the fact that IRs have the option of Closed Access Deposit, whereas CRs do not [although they could easily add that option].)

"Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates: What? Where? When? Why? How?" http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

Stevan Harnad