From: <Toby.GREEN@oecd.org>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 7:08 PM
Subject: RE: Follow-up on rock band's interesting IP experiment

Worth reading the next paragraph too:

" The album, the first in four years from the closely watched British rock act, sold 122,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That represents a mixed result for the band. It's a sharp drop compared with the debut of Radiohead's previous album, 2003's "Hail to the Thief," but it's far from a flop, considering the steep decline in music sales in the last four years and the typically weak sales in the post-Christmas period. "Thief" sold about 300,000 in its first week in 2003."

To put it in context with one of our own experiences. One of our best-selling book series published a new edition in December. This time around we received funding to assist in covering the publishing costs so we put the e-book out for free (as opposed to Radiohead's pay-what-you-like system). Print sales are running at about 66% of the previous edition's sales.

Toby Green
OECD Publishing