Re: Brantley blog post

Paul Courant is the economist (and I am not) so he could surely
make this point better than I. But I will make it anyway.

He wrote:

  I am not convinced by Joe Esposito's notion that 'information'
  or 'attention' are comparable commodities.

But if these two abstractions are commodities, 'attention' is
pretty much by definition 'rivalrous', whereas 'information' is
'non-rivalrous'. So for sure 'attention' remains competitive and
contested when information is by and large free, or might as well
be free if it is to be searchable and useful (and nothing is lost
by making it open -- which is what it means to say that it is
'non-rivalrous').

Of course, there are still plenty of things and services for
which publishers can charge a fee, earn a crust, build a
reputation. Its just that in the age of the web no great value
will be attached to providing mere access to information. There
may be no mileage in acting like the Mafia when guns have gone
out of fashion and what users need is a guide and a gardener.

Joe Esposito professes to see no public interest in Open Access.
But Brantley clearly does. His posting includes a heartfelt claim
which could be included in a web manifesto

*We must learn, in other words, to trade for our own account -
not the account of Google, Elsevier, the AAP, or the Authors'
Guild. We must acquire, and build, a shared universe of
information, freely available to all, on our terms. We must stand
together for all we profess, against all danger -- stand for what
no other organization in this world can: the fundamental right of
access to information, and the compulsion to preserve it for
future generations.*

Book Search will not work like Web

Search<http://blogs.lib.berkeley.edu/shimenawa.php/2008/01/02/trade_for_our_own_account>

Adam