SCOAP3 Focal Meeting at UC Berkeley

Colleagues,

This message has been posted to multiple lists - please excuse
any duplication.

The University of California at Berkeley and the California
Digital Library are co-hosting a meeting on SCOAP3 at Berkeley on
February 29th, 2008.  We hope that many of our U.S. colleagues
will be able to attend to discuss this burgeoning initiative in
greater depth.  We look forward to seeing you there!

Best,

Ivy Anderson
Director of Collections
California Digital Library

SCOAP3 US Focal Meeting: Making Open Access happen.
February 29th 2008 (9am-4pm)
University of California at Berkeley
Register at:  http://scoap3.org/focalmeeting.html
Contact for more information:  focalmeeting@scoap3.org

The debate on Open Access raves on but stays, in many quarters,
just a debate. The High-Energy Physics community, which gave us
the web and arXiv, is now pushing forward with an Open Access
model that goes beyond the present, controversial, proposals.
This new model is called the Sponsoring Consortium for Open
Access Publishing in Particle Physics (SCOAP3). In the SCOAP3
model, libraries federate to explicitly cover the costs of
peer-review, through a re-direction of their current
subscriptions, rather than implicitly supporting peer- review via
journal subscriptions, as in the present system.  Rather than
selling subscriptions, journals will then charge for the peer-
review service and make the electronic versions of their journals
free to read. Authors are not directly charged to publish their
articles Open Access. SCOAP3 will negotiate with major publishers
in the field the price of their peer review services through a
tendering process. Journals converted to Open Access will be
decoupled from package licenses.

A report describing the SCOAP3 initiative is available at
http://www.scoap3.org/files/Scoap3WPReport.pdf and an executive
summary is at
http://www.scoap3.org/files/Scoap3ExecutiveSummary.pdf. Further
details on the initiative are also available at http://scoap3.org

SCOAP3 has the potential to enable medium-and long-term cost
savings for research universities and laboratories. The
consortium is rapidly gaining momentum: in a few months, many
European countries have expressed their interest in joining and
many more are expected to follow suit in the coming months, with
more and more awareness rising in Asia. About a third of the
required budget envelope has already been pledged. But without
broad consensus and involvement from the leading US libraries and
library consortia, SCOAP3 cannot happen.

Therefore, we would like to invite you to a US SCOAP3 focal
meeting at the University of California at Berkeley on February
29, 2008.

This is an opportunity for individual libraries and library
consortia to learn more about this unique initiative.  The goal
of this event is to explain the SCOAP3 model objectives and
implementation and to bring together our insight and experience
to understand how a re- direction of subscriptions toward SCOAP3
might be achieved.

The FAQ at http://scoap3.org/us_faq.html is a good place to start
to learn more about SCOAP3. A list of libraries in the U.S. that
have already pledged to re-direct their subscription funds can be
found http://scoap3.org/scoap3us.html.

The program of the event and related information are posted at
http:// scoap3.org/focalmeeting.html

The workshop will run on a single day, February 29th 2008, from
9am to 4pm

- Morning:

     o Welcome
     o What is Open Access, anyhow
     o A voice from a scientist
     o The SCOAP3 model

     Coffee break

     o Recent developments:
       * Collecting European funds for SCOAP3
       * US consortia in SCOAP3
       * Individual US libraries and SCOAP3

     o OA synergies: Repositories for High Energy Physics

- Lunch break

- Afternoon:

    o Breakout sessions:
       * Breakout session I : US consortia and SCOAP3
       * Breakout session II : US individual libraries and SCOAP3

    Coffee break

    o Making SCOAP3 happen: reports from breakout sessions, charting the
way

Register online at: http://scoap3.org/focalmeeting.html and
contact focalmeeting@scoap3.org for further information.

***