Winter Online Copyright Workshops

Colleagues,

As expected ,the last workshop with Arnie Lutzker was very well
received by participants! As leaves and snow fall for many of us,
I urge you to register for our last two online workshops in this
year's series. The guest moderators will be Georgia Harper and
Gary Pavela and they will address two very different aspects of
the legal and ethical use of copyrighted works in academia. See
details below...

------------------

Integrating Access to Digital Course Materials: Blackboard/WebCT,
Coursepacks, e-Reserves, Licensed Materials, e-Books, Open
Access...What Will They Think of Next?
http://www.umuc.edu/cip/ipa/

------------------

Dates: January 28 - February 8, 2008 (early registration ends
January 11)
Moderator: Georgia Harper, J.D., Scholarly Communications Advisor,
University Libraries, University of Texas at Austin

This workshop will explore how integrating the various methods
our campuses use to provide access to digital educational course
materials can achieve long-term efficiencies and facilitate
institutional compliance with copyright law.

We'll start with a high-level discussion of fair use and review
the role it plays in enabling access to certain types of
materials. Next, we'll turn to our other forms of legal authority
to use others' works, and learn how we might integrate access to
our libraries' existing collections of licensed materials,
including e-books and journal articles, with those materials
freely available on the Web, and those for which permission must
be obtained. We'll also examine the many delivery mechanisms in
use today to determine which features will most affect faculty
acceptance and use of any integrated system.

Most importantly, these explorations will underscore the fact
that creating and operating access systems for digital materials,
and the copyright issues involved, are institutional concerns and
not just a matter of library services. Please see site for
detailed course objectives -
http://www.umuc.edu/cip/ipa/workshops.shtml#integratingaccess

-------------------

Building a Community that Values Academic Integrity
http://www.umuc.edu/cip/ipa/

-------------------

Dates: February 25 - March 7, 2008 (early registration ends February 8 )
Moderators: Gary Pavela, M.A., J.D., Director of Judicial
Programs and Student Ethical Development, University of Maryland
-- College Park & Kimberly Bonner, J.D., Executive Director,
Center for Intellectual Property, University of Maryland
University College

Studies show that establishing a community of shared academic
values fosters academic integrity in the classroom. However,
establishing that community may be more difficult when students
adopt the values of a digital "remix" culture that challenges the
traditional understanding of authorship. How do institutions
foster academic integrity values in light of changing cultural
norms? Are there special techniques and tools required? Are the
best tools to use in preventing academic dishonesty "technical"
like Turnitin.com? And are there additional legal and ethical
issues involved when using technical measures to prevent academic
dishonesty? Please see site for detailed course objectives-
http://www.umuc.edu/cip/ipa/workshops.shtml#AI

SIGN UP NOW:
Early Bird Rates $150
http://tinyurl.com/29jg53 [Secured Server]

Online Workshop FAQ- http://www.umuc.edu/cip/ipa/faq.shtml
Complete 2007-2008 Workshop Series see- http://www.umuc.edu/cip/ipa/
For more on the Center for Intellectual Property's resources & services
please see our homepage-  http://www.umuc.edu/cip/

Olga Francois, Assistant Director
Center for Intellectual Property
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Blvd. East, PGM3-780
Adelphi, MD 20783
ofrancois@umuc.edu