From: PAMnet [mailto:PAMNET@listserv.nd.edu] On Behalf Of Brooks, Travis C.
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:48 PM
To: PAMNET@listserv.nd.edu
Subject: Re: SCOAP

I'd like to clarify something that Gene said that I worry could
be misinterpreted here:

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Gene Sprouse wrote:

> each must be asked to triple what it now pays for PRD,

In the SCOAP3 model, no library is being asked pay triple for
Phys. Rev. D at all. Libraries are expected to simply redirect
most or all of their current, overall HEP subscription costs to
SCOAP3. SCOAP3 will then have a tender for the price of the
peer-review service, negotiate prices and pay the journals.
Libraries will not pay individually for PRD, or PLB, or any of
the other HEP journals.  No library is asked to pay more than
they currently pay, if anything they will save money with respect
to the present situation. See http://www.scoap3.org/about.html
for details

The budget envelope of SCOAP3 is designed to be sufficient to
cover the costs that Gene refers to, by re-directing subscription
funds. However we can't be sure of this total until enough
libraries begin to sign on to support the model and we can enter
negotiations with the journals. In a few months a quarter of the
funds have already been pledged
(http://www.scoap3.org/fundraising.html), with more expected to
come soon, but this depends on us all: only if we, US librarians,
signify our support to the model,
http://www.scoap3.org/scoap3us.html, we will know if it will be a
viable alternative to the present system.

> The funding and sustainability of the SCOAP3 model have yet to
> be developed and demonstrated. If they can be, then APS would
> be willing to make PRD freely available on our site.

Libraries on this list should take note of this statement!  It is
in our power to demonstrate massive support to the SCOAP3 model,
pledging a re-direction of our subscription funds, and therefore
its sustainability. Here is a publisher stating that if libraries
go for it, the publisher will follow.

APS is justifiably worried about the sustainability of their
funding sources.  The best way to allay this fear is to step up
and voice support.

Libraries cannot sit back and wait for journals to propose a
solution to the problems we have. This has not worked so far.
As the APS is clearly stating, the journals are waiting for the
libraries.  If libraries in turn wait for the journals, nothing
happens simply because neither side can make the first move:
SCOAP3 offers us an opportunity to overcome this deadlock.

If your library is willing to re-direct your HEP subscriptions
into SCOAP3, under the condition it will deliver what it
promises, then voice your support through
http://www.scoap3.org/scoap3us.html.  This will bring us one
(big) step torward addressing Gene's concerns and making viable
and sustainable Open Access a reality.

Best Regards,
Travis

Travis C. Brooks