Re: NIH mandate - institutional repositories

Joe,

You're right that whoever is the initial owner of copyright in
faculty scholarship, that owner can agree to share the rights
with the other party through an assignment or license.  Many
universities have adopted copyright policies that purport to
recognize faculty members' "traditional rights" in their
scholarship.  If it turns out that faculty articles are works
made for hire, then these copyright policies probably should be
understood to grant some kind of license to the faculty members
in their own works or possibly even be understood as contracting
out of work for hire status (which is possible).

Best,
MC

Michael W. Carroll
Professor of Law
Villanova University School of Law
Research papers: http://law.bepress.com/michael_carroll
http://ssrn.com/author=330326
blog: http://www.carrollogos.org/

See also www.creativecommons.org

>>> espositoj@gmail.com 12/4/2007 5:28:16 PM >>>

Michael,

There is a matter of timing here as well, no?

Let's talk about prospective works by prospective faculty.  In
this scenario a university stipulates in a job offer letter that
all intellectual property is owned by the institution.  The
university is thus free to enter into any agreement it so
chooses, including assigning some limited rights back to the
"writer" (not the "author," since technically the university is
the "author" of a work-for-hire).

For retrospective work and for faculty that is already in place,
the situation is much more complicated, as you suggest.  If we
conclude, however, that with regard to intellectual property,
"the best is yet to come," the focus on legacy content is less
important.

It would seem that universities have it in their power to change
the entire intellectual property paradigm for prospective work,
where the real value will reside.  The curious thing is that no
university (as far as I know) has chosen to do so.  In contrast,
employees of commercial organizations routinely sign agreements
stipulating that their intellectual output is the property of the
corporation.

Joe Esposito