Press Release from APS Editorial Office

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
Amy Halsted
American Physical Society
halsted@aps.org
631-591-4232

APS Offers Author Names in Alternate Language Alphabets

Ridge, NY, 3 December 2007 -- A new program announced today
[http://link.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v99/e230001] by the American
Physical Society offers authors the option to include their names
in either Chinese, Japanese, or Korean characters, following the
name as it appears in Latin characters.  The program is offered
for author bylines throughout the Physical Review journals,
including Physical Review Letters.

The option offers advantages to these authors and to readers of
the journal.  Many names that are different when expressed in
characters become the same when transliterated into English.
Showing the characters after the transliterated name removes the
ambiguity, and enables readers to know definitively whose work is
whose.

The program is the brainchild of Gene Sprouse, APS
Editor-in-Chief. "A person's name is important.  It is the first
word that a child learns to write, and it stays with him or her
throughout life," he observed. "Authors who choose to have their
names printed this way can show their name on their paper to a
friend or family member who may not read English!  Our
international submissions are growing and we occasionally have
trouble ourselves distinguishing one Asian author from another.
We value these authors and we want to be welcoming to them in our
journals," he said.

The pilot program for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters is
now available, and with time and more experience additional
languages may be offered. Full instructions are given for authors
on how to supply the proper Unicode characters at the time of
submission [http://authors.aps.org/names.html].

About the APS: The American Physical Society is the world's largest
professional body of physicists, representing over 46,000 physicists
in academia and industry in the US and internationally. It has
offices in Ridge, NY; Washington, DC; and College Park, MD. For more
information: www.aps.org

****