Re: SCOAP3

When we met recently with a leader of the SCOAP3 initiative, he mentioned that one of the incentives for libraries to join is that the combined SCOAP3 group of subscribers will be large enough to negotiate with the publishers and to reduce the overall subscription fees we pay by as much as 2/3. This seemed hugely optimistic to me, as none of the publishers listed below, whatever their $/article, is making anywhere approaching 2/3 surplus. And, in fact, societies like the APS note that they have "no fat to trim."

Anyhow, this led to the SCOAP staff's statement that it should be possible for publishers to bring their costs down that much, through additional savings in their publication costs, and the SCOAP3 negotiations will push publishers to achieve these. In turn, we suggested that if such low cost, high quality could be achieved, it might be useful for SCOAP3/CERN to demonstrate that by starting a journal that proves the concept.

We've not heard back on this matter from the SCOAP3 group yet; would welcome any comments from readers of this list.

Ann Okerson/Yale Library