Sent: 22 November 2007 00:53
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: NIH mandate - institutional repositories

I cannot claim to be an expert on institutional repositories and
their history but the first time I became aware of them was from
a presentation by Ann Wolpert one the originators of DSpace. It
was my understanding then and it is my understanding now that for
some involved in the IR movement the purpose was to provide a
service to faculty. The DSpace mission from one of the sites
reads:

DSpaceT is a free, open source software platform that allows
research organizations to offer faculty and researchers a
professionally managed searchable archive for their digital
assets. DSpace focuses on simple access to these assets, as well
as their long-term preservation.

It is my understanding that DSpace development was in progress by
2000.

In 2002 a very different definition was proposed by Raym Crow in
his SPARC position paper - see
http://www.arl.org/sparc/bm~doc/ir_final_release_102.pdf. The
definition of IRs set out in his abstract is very different and
speaks of reforming scholarly communication in line with the
SPARC agenda.

My picture is that SPARC have attempted to hi-jack an agenda
which was faculty-centred into one which is library-centred, some
libraries that is. The mandates proposed are only necessary
because faculty persistently refuse to fit in with this new
agenda which does not represent their needs or wishes.

Anthony Watkinson