From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Carroll
Sent: 30 November 2007 00:37
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: NIH mandate - institutional repositories

As a Selected Works author,
http://works.bepress.com/michael_carroll/, I agree wholeheartedly
that it provides the incentive Aaron mentions.

The other option to consider to increase deposits in the absence
of a mandate is to find an entry point for the repository into
faculty members' existing practices concerning publication.  For
example, either at the time of acceptance or publication, faculty
have to update their list of publications on their C.V.s, bios,
and web pages.  Repository managers or librarians could assist
with this task in exchange for a copy of the author's manuscript
and the citation metadata.

Best,

Michael W. Carroll
Professor of Law
Villanova University School of Law
Research papers: http://law.bepress.com/michael_carroll
http://ssrn.com/author=330326
blog: http://www.carrollogos.org/

See also www.creativecommons.org

>>> edlin@econ.berkeley.edu 11/28/2007 7:50:47 PM >>>

My own thinking, and the philosophy of bepress, is that the
university is filled with many interests and constituencies. The
puzzle is getting them to work well together. Faculty seek to
promote themselves individually, and seek control and identity;
universities seek to promote themselves and grow; librarians seek
to create useful order from chaos. These goals can, but need not,
conflict.

As to mandates, I favor them.  As I see it, the university or
government funds much of my research.  Why should they not demand
and insist on a non-exclusive copy of my writings to preserve for
posterity (for what posterity cares about my work) or to
advertise to the world, should I be lucky enough that UC Berkeley
could bask in the glory of my writing?

All that said, for various political and practical reasons,
including lobbying by Elsevier, I don't see *effective* mandates
coming for a little while yet.

In the meantime, the key for those who are pro-repository is to
find a way to work with faculty.  How do you make faculty
volunteer or indeed be eager? Convince them that their career
will benefit and give them control and something to identify
with.  Faculty want their own place...one they control... on the
internet.  Many build sites themselves with cumbersome and kludgy
tools.  These sites are highly idiosyncratic data structures.
Better that they should be easy to use, beautiful, and easily
harvestable (or automatically incorporated) into the
institution's IR (or Research Showcase, as I like to call it).

For this, bepress developed SelectedWorks
(http://works.bepress.com). D-space has developed personal
research pages.  These, I predict, will be key to filling
repositories until effective mandates arrive.

___

P.S. Please have a look at http://works.bepress.com/aaron_edlin/
and sign up for notifications of my new work! =A0 Aaron Edlin
Chairman, The Berkeley Electronic Press Richard Jennings
Professor of Economics and Law, UC Berkeley Homepage:
http://works.bepress.com/aaron_edlin/

Co-Editor, The Economists' Voice, http://www.bepress.com/ev
Editor, The B.E. Journals of Theoretical Economics,
http://www.bepress.com/bejte