Re: OA - What cost? What value?

I would like to thank Sandy very much for engaging with this
particular analysis and the recommendations on scholarly
communication and scientific publishing. For the benefit of this
list I will do my best to address the queries:

1. 'Trade' publishing: I was looking for a concept that would
convey that guild publishing (repositories) and trade
(commercial) publishing (journals and books) could be
complementary elements of scientific/scholarly publishing. If
trade publishing is a bad choice due to its set connotations,
then I would use the term commercial publishing. That said, I am
also open to further advice on how to conceptualise and describe
these two proposed (complementary) elements and to designate the
value-adding provided when (commercial, university, society)
publishers focus on certification and navigation services.

2. Books: Sandy is right that I was thinking mainly of research
articles. I think that the system may be adopted without much
further ado for book chapters when we are dealing with an edited
volume. In fact, I am doing this with colleagues - i.e. the book
chapters will be posted as working papers initially and then we
proceed to edit the book, with revisions, introduction and
conclusion. But that does not fully answer Sandy's query and his
concerns about the 'two cultures': Would other subscribers of
this list think that it is possible to disseminate books from
guild publishers (repositories)?

3. Certification: Certification processes for books and journals
and different types of books and journals may well be different
and diverge. I have some observations on this: a) When research
articles are posted to guild publishers and thus distributed to
colleagues, 'double-blind peer review' is not really any longer
sensible (most competent peer reviewers will have seen the
piece). Large communities in the natural and social sciences seem
to be happy with this; b) Some guild publishers employ metrics to
track and rank publications, these are interesting measures for
authors, readers and peers, and potentially raise the bar on the
quality of formal peer review (does it tell me anythig I cannot
already observe from a guild publisher?); c) If dissemination
were organised from guild publishers (repositories) and licensing
to commercial publishers non-exclusive, then - so my strategic
reflection - there would be more competitive pressure to improve
and diversify certification ! and navigation services. In sum: I
think we can already observe pressures to innovate with
certification and navigation and commercial publishers are
experimenting with new kinds of peer review and new kinds of
navigation services that are meant to principally serve readers.

Chris Armbruster