BioMed Central Announces New Release of Open Repository

*apologies for cross-posting*

Press release from BioMed Central: For immediate release

BioMed Central Announces New Release of Open Repository:  The
Leading Platform for Hosting Institutional Repositories

Two Organizations Announced as Customers; Improved Interface to
Enhance User Experience

LONDON, November 27, 2007 - BioMed Central today announced the
latest upgrades to Open Repository (www.openrepository.com), the
open access publisher's hosted repository solution.  The upgrades
include new features from DSpace (www.dspace.org), the
open-source platform for accessing, managing, and preserving
scholarly works.  Open Repository now offers institutions
increased customization options and a new and improved user
interface.  Also, two prestigious organizations have recently
elected to host their repositories on Open Repository: Roehampton
University and Medecins Sans Frontieres, demonstrating that Open
Repository is the first choice for a wide variety of
organizations.

"BioMed Central's Open Repository is a very good platform on
which to host our institutional repository," said Tony Reid,
Medical Editor, Medecins Sans Frontieres.  "The upgrade will
allow us to apply more customization options from DSpace, so the
repository better meets our requirements. We are looking forward
to using the new version."

Open Repository version 1.4.9 has several new features that are
designed to enhance the customer experience.  The release offers
an improved user interface, making it easier for customers to
browse and submit their material online.  Additionally,
institutions can convert their Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Text and
RTF documents to PDF format.  Customers can also set up RSS
feeds, and customize lists and search fields, adding value to the
already robust platform.

"Open Repository provides a hosted solution that is quick and
simple to set up, customizable to our needs and easy to use,"
said Pat Simons, Bibliographic and Technical Services Manager,
Roehampton University. "We switched from Proquest's repository
service because Open Repository offered better value for money
and all the features we plan to use. Additionally, we appreciate
the helpful and friendly support we get from BioMed Central."

Open Repository from BioMed Central gives institutions the
personalization of an in-house repository at a fraction of the
cost. The service hosts and maintains repositories for
institutions, eliminating the need for the support and resources
required for an in-house solution, while providing unique and
innovative features to its users.  Built on the latest DSpace
technology, Open Repository can be personalized to support an
institution's specific needs and identity.

For information on how to host a repository on Open Repository,
please email info@openrepository.com.

###

Contact:
Robert Brumfield