Sent: 27 November 2007 05:13
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: citations as indicators of quality

I recommende everybod to read Geoffrey Crossicks article
"Journals in the arts and humanities: their role in evaluation"
in Serials, November 2007 showing that peer-reviewed journals are
not the self-evident location of choice that they are in
sciences.

The most presitious form of output in the humanites is still the
monograph, thematic books, scholarly editions of texts and
judgment of peers remains the core way to establish the quality
of research outputs.

What is the impact factor for Plato's The Republic, written
approxiamtely 360 BC. Still popular, still cited, still an
extremely important philosophical text.

Jan