NIH mandate - institutional repositories

I am an MLIS student at UCLA.  I am currently working on a paper on
institutional repositories.  I understand from some of my readings
that the reality of the institutional repository has moved in another
direction from the concepts of both the OA model of access and the
SPARC model of encouraging alternative methods of scholarly
publication.  Will the NIH mandate, if it is signed into law, move the
institutional repository back to one or both of its prior purposes or
will those concepts remain just a part of the broader scope of the
present repositories?  I would really appreciate hearing the list
members' thoughts on this.

Barbara Birenbaum