Springer deal with Portico -- the fine print

[This message is being cross-posted; apologies for duplication]

Since U-Minnesota is a Portico participant library, I was happy
to see the "Springer titles to be preserved by Portico" press
release here until I noticed what wasn't stated -- that
participating libraries cannot obtain access via Portico should
they be forced to cancel a Springer title.

http://www.portico.org/news/103007.html

My *guess* (just a hunch) is that Springer doesn't want to
endanger their "negotiated fee per title per year for ongoing
online access."

http://www.springer.com/west/home/librarians?SGWID=4-117-7-403810-0&teaserId=68602&CENTER_ID=173614#anchor6

I have to give credit to Elsevier, Taylor and Francis, and Wiley
for allowing such access where Springer won't.  And I wish the
Portico announcements were more up front about this fine print,
so that participating libraries know what they are getting (and
not getting) for their membership fees.

With so many of us going e-only for targeted publishers, this is
less and less a theoretical issue.  If you cancel a Springer
title, it will cost more money (beyond what you may already be
paying Portico) to keep those SFX buttons finding full text of
older articles to which you once subscribed.  Clearly there is
still a need, even with the Portico service, to continue
requesting perpetual access rights in e-journal negotiations.

Jim Stemper
stemp003@tc.umn.edu
University of Minnesota
Libraries