Re: second-hand ownership

Uh, since this is not a copyright issue but simply an access issue, once you have the pages with Newton's handwriting reproduced once, I see no reason for paying the library that gave you original access a second fee--unless you signed some sort of license that restricted your re-use, making this an issue of contract law. Or am I missing something here?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

Dear list members:

I have a question on the ownership of "second-hand" artifacts.

Recently I published a paper that displayed samples of Newton's
handwriting from Jerusalem library.  I paid for each of them in
cash:)

Now I want to publish another paper in another journal with parts of
the same pages displayed again.

Should I pay to the same library again (for virtually same pages)?

Or should I negotiate the matter with the first journal to dismiss
charges altogether?  Or?

Ari Belenkiy