Re: ACRL invites comment on scholarly communication research agenda

A report well worth reading, even though there is no mention anywhere in it of university presses. Joyce Ogburn has extended an invitation to presses to join in the conversation, and we will certainly do so. But, as one of my colleagues recently observed, they "welcome our responses to the questions and issues they've framed, but it never occurred to them we might have something interesting to say about how they get framed in the first place, or even about what questions are worth asking."

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

Contact: Kara Malenfant
312-280-2510
kmalenfant@ala.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 5, 2007

ACRL invites comment on scholarly communication research agenda

CHICAGO - A new report by the Association of College and Research
Libraries (ACRL) explores the gaps in our understanding of the
ways that scholars create and share new knowledge. The report
lays out a preliminary research agenda for creating greater
understanding of the rapidly evolving system of scholarly
communication - the way research results and new knowledge are
registered, evaluated for quality, disseminated and preserved.
Meaningful research about the system of scholarly communication
will inform strategic planning for scholarly communication
programs.

The white paper, "Establishing a Research Agenda for Scholarly
Communication: A Call for Community Engagement," encourages
academics, librarians and their key partners to gather more data
on practices that both enable and inhibit the production of
scholarship and its communication. The report identifies eight
themes, with research possibilities in each area.

The paper resulted from a one-day invitational meeting in July
2007, to collectively brainstorm the evidence needed to manage
and influence the changing environment. Attendees included
representatives from ACRL, the Association of Research Libraries,
the Council on Library and Information Resources, the Coalition
for Networked Information, Ithaka, the Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation and SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources
Coalition). ACRL scholarly communication committee co-chairs John
Ober of the University of California and Joyce Ogburn of the
University of Utah convened the meeting and discuss the report at
<http://blogs.ala.org/acrlpodcast.php>.

The document is available online for public comment at
<http://www.acrl.ala.org/scresearchagenda>. Please submit
comments that:

* Refine or expand the need for research, important issues and
possible projects.

* Identify additional articles and reports that collectively form
a knowledge base from which the research agenda emerges more
clearly.

* Suggest ways to conduct the research.

* Volunteer to participate or collaborate in a specific research
initiative.

* Propose additional avenues of distribution for the report.

Confidential comments may be emailed to John Ober at John.Ober@ucop.edu
or Joyce Ogburn at Joyce.Ogburn@utah.edu.
***