Interesting Open Access article in The Scientist

Joe Esposito, a regular contributor to this list, has recently
had an article published in The Scientist.  In it, he provides a
nuanced perspective on the business aspects of open access.  An
excerpt:

"The debate over open access to the scientific literature appears
to be moving onto a new phase. Many continue to argue one side or
the other of a binary choice: Either all research publishing
should be open access, or only traditional publishing can
maintain peer review and editorial integrity. Others, however,
have moved beyond that false dichotomy, instead increasingly
seeing various hybrid models emerging and new, often complex,
business arrangements...We are entering a pluralistic phase,
where open access and traditional publishing coexist, though they
increasingly are finding their own distinctive places in the
research universe and are less likely to compete head-on. To
respond to the binary argument with which I began this essay,
open access is a good thing, but it is also a small and
inevitable thing."

The article appears to be accessible without restriction here:

http://www.the-scientist.com/2007/11/1/52/1/

Best, Greg
Greg Tananbaum
gtananbaum@gmail.com