Re: NIH Public Access Mandate Passes Senate

You seem to be demanding an unrealistically absolute notion of
ownership in this case that has not existed for any type of
property in the Anglo-American legal system since the Norman
Conquest.  As flawed as the analogy between IP and tangible
property is, it may be helpful here.

According to the deeds, I have owned two houses "in fee simple"
-- the most absolute form of ownership we recognize.  Yet my
first house was subject to two easements, one for powerlines
running along the back of the property and one for a shared
driveway.  My current resident had, as a condition of purchase,
agreement to a homeowners association covenant. Both pieces of
property are subject to taxation, recordation requirements and
zoning laws.  Is my ownership of my house "unpersuasive" because
I am prevented from running a law practice out of my garage?

Ownership of personal property is similarly conditional.  I have
to register my car, get it inspected and pay taxes on it.  If I
use it in ways proscribed by the government it is even subject to
seizure.

Intellectual property, of course, has always been subject to
limitations and exceptions.  A large chunk of the copyright act
-- sections 107-122 -- detail these limitations, including a
number of compulsory licenses.  Why do these not render copyright
ownership illusory, but the NIH requirement would? Trying to
shift the terms of debate by claiming that this mandate would
turn all academic writing into work made for hire is really
unpersuasive, given that many similar restrictions that already
exist do not have that effect.  The real issue, of course, is not
that authors' rights are in danger, it is a mistaken perception
that the income stream of publishers will be threatened; we
should have the debate on those terms, where the author's
interests may well lie on the side of public access.

Kevin Smith

****

"Joseph J. Esposito" <espositoj@gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
10/30/2007 07:57 PM
Subject Re: NIH Public Access Mandate Passes Senate

Mandating a nonexclusive right means that the author does not
fully control the rights.  Okay, fair enough:  if you don't
believe that an author should have the full rights, why not just
say that?  Saying one own something except for when one doesn't
isn't persuasive.

As I said in my original post, I have no problem with saying that
work funded by a third party should be considered a work for
hire.  What I find troubling is the pretense that this is about
authors' rights when it in fact is taking away some authors'
rights.

And this is why mandates are necessary, because open access does
not have the full support of the authors themselves.  There are
exceptions to this and they are significant.

My own view of a better policy (seconding in part Ann Okerson's
recent comment to this list, but I doubt she would extend the
remark as I am) is that government-funded research should be
written up and posted to government-funded open access Web sites
without an embargo.  In this formulation the author (really "the
writer") has no rights in the work except for those the granting
body chooses to assign to him or her.  In some instances, the
funding agency may choose to claim authorship of this work, as
the work-for-hire statute provides (as in "copyright (c) by the
NIH").

This will ultimately be much more expensive than the current
system, but if costs were the issue, we wouldn't be talking about
open access to begin with.

Joe Esposito