From: "Leah Krevit" <leah.krevit@exch.library.tmc.edu>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 11:28 PM
Subject: RE: NIH Public Access Mandate Passes Senate

[ANN'S note: Thanks to all who clarified exactly what the policy would require. I've long wondered why these government agencies are not creating their own publicly accessible Web sites wherein the reports of grantees are made available. Those of us who get federal grants spend *a lot* of time preparing the *required* ongoing and final reports of our research and progress. The reports go ... where? Into filing cabinets or now electronic file folders, and are rarely findable. Shouldn't federal agencies mount grantee reports for the public shortly after filing? The agencies would thus be providing appropriate access, authors would have a say over where (Web sites, journals, repositories) and in what form their papers are published. And, publishers' value added services would either find a market or not -- they would stand or fall on their merits as the content would already be available from the funding agencies. Don't shoot me now...]

Ann, Here is the language, I think:

Under a mandatory policy, NIH-funded researchers will be
required to deposit copies of eligible manuscripts into the
National Library of Medicine's online database, PubMed Central.
Articles will be made publicly available no later than 12
months after publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
The intention is for the published article to be made available
publicly within one year.

My understanding is that other reports, pre-prints, etc. are not
to be reposited in PubMed Central. I guess we will know more once
the bill becomes law. If it does.

You can read the existing requirements of the NIH Public Access
Policy here:  http://publicaccess.nih.gov/

The language there is:

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Policy on Enhancing
Public Access to Archived Publications Resulting from NIH-Funded
Research (Public Access Policy), which took effect on May 2,
2005, requests and strongly encourages all investigators to make
their NIH-funded peer-reviewed, author's final manuscript
available to other researchers and the public through the NIH
National Library of Medicine's (NLM) PubMed Central (PMC)
immediately after the final date of journal publication.

Best. Leah

Leah Krevit, M.L.I.S.
Associate Director
Collections Management