From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Wonsik "Jeff"
Shim
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:02 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: On metrics

Liz,

although I agree with you that more detailed data would serve us
better, please be aware that other groups of clientele exist with
regard to usage metrics. Librarians is just one of several
stakeholders--authors, university adminitrators, consortia
managers, publishers and vendors to name a few --in the
subscription contents. So you don't want to say no. of downloads
is trivial.

Librarians would need more detailed usage metrics to have a
better understanding of user needs and demands. But other groups
will focus on more macro level data and no. of downloads is one
such data. I personally think that if other decision makers
within the parent organization believes that downloads are
important, librarians should look at the numbers more closely,
understand their trends better.

I also think that downloads, even at the aggregate level, tell us
something about user demands and preferences in the absence of
direct measure for such. Inclusion of no. of downloads as a core
element in standard usage metrics such as COUNTER needs to be
maintained for the time being.

-Jeff Shim
Dept. of Library and Information Science
Sungkyunkwan University
Seoul, Korea