PCG research shows evolution in journals renewals trends

*With apologies for cross-posting*

Hi all,

I thought the list would be interested in the results of the
latest research carried out by Publishers Communication Group
(PCG), which analysed the evolution of journal renewals trends
over the last four years. The study investigated 22,000
cancellations of 60 different publishers' journals; some key
findings include:

*publishing an online edition is now critical to a journal's
survival: 1 in 4 print cancellations resulted from migration to
e-only subscriptions

*faculty are more influential than ever - cancellations on their
recommendation have doubled

*usage statistics continue to inform collection management, with
20% of librarians basing most cancellations on such data

*renewals campaigns work! - 13% of librarians reported that final
decisions about "at-risk" titles are affected by publisher
incentives

I have pasted the full text of the press release announcing the
research below. Please do not hesitate to contact me, or PCG's
head of research Emilie Delquie (edelquie@pcgplus.com) if you
would like further information about the research.

All best wishes,

Charlie.

***********

PCG unveils research into the evolution of renewals trends over
the last four years

/Report highlights increased migration from print to online and
faculty influence in libraries' selection process/
http://www.publishingtechnology.com/news/

Publishers Communication Group (PCG), the leading provider of
research, sales and marketing services to scholarly and
professional publishers, has recently published its latest
research report, an analysis of journal renewal trends in the
scholarly information sector over the last four years.

Libraries in North and South America, Europe, Africa and
Australia were surveyed to harvest data about cancellation
decisions taken over the last four years. Over 22,000 lapsed
subscriptions are included in these results, representing over 60
different publishers in the STM, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
The results have been collated and analysed by PCG's publishing
consultants to provide a comprehensive overview of current trends
in renewals of journal subscriptions by academic, corporate and
medical libraries. Such data is key to scholarly publishers'
ability to develop successful sales, marketing, and
editorialstrategies; the findings of PCG's previous reports
Trends in Journal Subscription Renewal and Cancellation 2005-2006
have contributed to improved segmentation and targeting,
different pricing models, and adjustments to sales cycles and
editorial strategies.

Key findings of the telephone surveys include:

* The shift to e-only subscriptions continues to be a dominant
trend for libraries around the world. This year, one in four
print subscriptions was cancelled in favour of online access; it
is critical for publishers to understand whether this access is
via e-only subscription or through a third-party embargoed
database.

* The increasing importance of faculty recommendations in
librarians' decision to retain or cancel subscriptions: the rate
of subscriptions cancelled following faculty input has grown from
5% four years ago to 10% this year.  During the 2006-2007 cycle,
it was the third most important factor provided to explain a
cancellation.

* Better usage statistics are contributing to more informed
collection management, with a steady 20% of librarians noting
that most cancellations are based on usage data.

* Renewals campaigns are increasingly essential, with an
increasing share of pending subscriptions: this year, 13% of
librarians reported that they needed further assistance in order
to process their renewal or that a final decision had not been
reached yet. Incentives offered by publishers are key to
retaining pending subscriptions.

"PCG's reports are invaluable to us as we refine our sales
strategies in this evolving and fiscally-pressured market. They
are the recognised leaders in market research for the scholarly
publishing community, and, for us, access to this kind of
analysis is a key benefit of working with them," notes Bart
Decastro, VP of ProQuest-CSA's Journal Division. "PCG was able to
offer valuable insight into our renewal trends by comparing our
results over the last several years. Their interpretation of our
data has been essential to our strategic planning."

About PCG
www.pcgplus.com

Publishers Communication Group, Inc., a division of Publishing
Technology plc, is a full-service marketing and sales consulting
firm with locations in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and Oxford,
England. PCG was established in 1989 as a resource for scholarly
publishers to more effectively work with the global library
market. PCG offers qualitative and quantitative marketing
research, international multi-lingual telemarketing services, UK-
and US-based customer services operations, sales representation,
and strategic consulting.

   Charlie Rapple (Mrs)
   Group Marketing Manager
   Publishing Technology plc