What I meant about Galileo

My apologies for being obscure.  I guess I am too close to the
problem and thought everybody knew what I meant.

I will get right to the point.

In my role as researcher, I submitted a paper on low carbohydrate
diets to a journal.  They rejected the paper on the basis of
comments by reviewers that I consider were prejudiced and that I
was able to rebut. My argument is now that I did not get a fair
review.  I used Galileo as a metaphor because in the
medical-nutrition world, low-carbohydrate diets are anathema and
low-fat is still a kind of orthodoxy that is so pervasive as to
be equivalent to the church.  I would argue that in a
controversial field, the journal was obligated to get a reviewer
who was sympathetic or at least open-minded.

Of course, nutritional orthodoxy is not quite like the church and
there are numerous journals and most of the time I can just try a
different journal.  Assuming here, however, that I feel that only
the journal that rejected the article is appropriate and that I
can prove by the usual standards of evidence that my paper met
the same standards as papers usually published in the journal.

If the paper is published by a private organization, do I have
any legal recourse to demand a fair hearing in court. I realize
this isn't specifically a library science question but I thought
the group might be interested or have some experience with
similar issues.

If I really pursue this, I will, of course, seek legal advice.

Elsevier published Galileo's works when it was turned down by the
Pope but I don't see an equivalent for me.

In my role as editor, I feel that can put personal prejudice
aside but we are not a major journal and the only comparable case
(on a different issue), the author simply withdrew the paper.

Again, sorry for the obfuscaiton.  Anybody have comments on this?

Regards,
Richard D. Feinman

"Joseph J. Esposito" <espositoj@gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
10/01/07 08:18 PM

Richard,

I may simply be obtuse here, but I would like very much to
understand your parable better.  Can you spell out its
implications?

Joe Esposito