popular speculative philosophy?

There is more to heaven and earth than was every dreamed of in our philosophies... [Shakespeare, I think]

Sandy Thatcher wonders whether there is any hope of advertising revenue for an esoteric journal like the Journal of Speculative Philosophy.

How will we ever know the appetite of the public for speculative philosophy, unless we experiment with open access?

When the NIH made Medline openly accessible in the 90's, thinking of expanding access to all the physicians and medical researchers, it came as a surprise that usage increased more than a hundredfold, and daily usage exceeded the numbers of physicians and medical researchers.

If there were no love for philosophy, why would there be an entire academic discipline with this name? I suspect that not many sign up for this, as a quick and easy way to land a high-paying job after graduation.

For Sandy Thatcher's latest question on this topic, see: http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0709/msg00089.html

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is that of the author alone, and
does not reflect the opinion or policy of BC Electronic Library
Network or Simon Fraser University Library.

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com