Re: Institutional Mandates and Institutional OA Repository Growth

I wish I could share your optimism, Stevan, but we just published a book about Rutgers (by an English professor there) that shows that the Rutgers administration, pressured by the sports boosters on its board of trustees, are quite happy to spend lots of money on upgrading the football stadium and ensuring that the team will rank in the top ten while the academic infrastructure of the school, including classrooms, literally crumbles into disrepair. Is this "rational"? Not to my mind, but it is happening in many places these days. "A lot of e-mails and phone calls" from not only their faculty but students and alumni as well have had no effect on the university's determination to sacrifice its academic reputation at the altar of big-time sports-so much for faculty power and the "dead-obvious solution" to the university's $34 million budget deficit.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

It seems a safe bet that since the logical brainwork in questionis
just a one-step deduction (which I think universityadminstrators,
even with their atrophied neurons, should still becapable of making,
if they are still capable of getting up in themorning at all), the
dance-step will be mastered: Faced with thequestion "Do we use the
newfound windfall cancellation savingsfrom our former publication
buy-in to pay for the newfoundpublication costs of our research
publication output, or forsomething else, letting our research
output fend for itself?"they will -- under the pressure of logic,
necessity,practicality, self-interest, and a lot of emails and phone
callsfrom their research-publishing faculty -- find their way to
thedead-obvious solution...

Best wishes,

Stevan Harnad