RE: Institutional Mandates and Institutional OA Repository Growth

>Sandy
>
>I was interested in your parenthetic comment that Penn State
>University Press is 'not an endorser of PRISM'.  Can I just
>confirm that you do not intend signing-up to the PRISM
>initiative?

Yes, as it is currently conceived.

>If not, this would make you, by my count, the 7th publisher to
>publicly disassociate itself from PRISM (joining the university
>presses of Rockefeller, Oxford, Cambridge, Columbia, and Chicago,
>together with Nature Publishing).  As far as I can tell no
>publisher has publicly endorsed PRISM, but I hope they will
>produce a list of coalition members shortly.

Efforts are under way to massage the PRISM message in ways that make
it more palatable to those of us PSP members who could not endorse
the initial statement; some changes have already appeared on the
PRISM site. Others will undoubtedly follow. Whether our press or
other university presses will ultimately feel comfortable with it
enough in a revised form to offer our public support remains to be
seen.

--
Sanford G. Thatcher, Director
Penn State University Press

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)