Re: Trends in research database licensing

Hi.  Answers from the University of Calgary below.

Andrew Waller
Serials Librarian
Collections Services
University of Calgary Library

waller@ucalgary.ca
(403) 220-8133 voice
(403) 284-2109 fax

Young, Catherine wrote:

I'm a newbie to the this list, and was wondering if I could draw on the collective wealth of knowledge of the group to answer a few questions.

Our library is exploring trends in licensing agreements for research databases, would like to know the following:

1) Is your library managing their license agreements differently
than they have in the past? If so, in what way?
We are in the process of setting up an ERMS which will allow for better management (at the least better storage) of the provisions of licenses.

2) Does your library require vendors to sign agreements that you
yourselves construct rather than the other way around?
Usually not. We normally start with the license from the vendor and go from there.

3) How are your libraries handling the challenge of user-based
pricing? (i.e. the time it takes to keep track of users on the
service and manage logins accordingly etc.).
We can't keep track of users and we do our utmost to stay away from login management; the vast majority of our products are IP authenticated, both on and off campus.

4) Are any of you opting for longer contracts -- 3-5 years?
Three years is not uncommon, especially for products purchased via our consortia. I would feel somewhat wary with five years but three years goes past in a flash.

Would love to hear from you and will summarize for list (please
reply in general terms, not mentioning vendor names)

Catherine Young
Export Development Canada
cyoung@edc.ca