Re: New strategy at NY Times and libraries

Bernie Sloan wrote:

I believe we will be seeing more publishers experimenting with doing away with subscription fees in favor of advertising revenues. Times Select met the NYT expectations, and was bringing in $10 million annually in subscription fees. The NYT thinks the upside from ad revenues will be greater. Granted, the NYT is not a scholarly journal, but I think this move will have a lot of people in the publishing industry sitting up and taking notice.

I may have mentioned this before, but if this sort of trend continues will it gradualy begin to marginalize the library, bit by bit? In other words, if more information becomes available freely will that lead people to think they need the library less?

Heather's Comment:

From my perspective, this depends a great deal on how we
librarians choose to position ourselves for an open future on the world wide web. Are we seen as the champions of open access that we are? Many libraries are now supporting publishing and archiving of their user's works; this is a role that can be expanded.

The need for information literacy is our ever-expanding information universe will be increasing dramatically over the next few years; it is absurb to think otherwise.

The need for reference assistance will increase. I'm sure I not the only librarian who is constantly being asked for help to find things, that people know are free on the internet. The most common reference questions are likely to change, with "How can I find some information on..." already a much less relevant question today, but "How do I make sure I don't miss something important"? and "How do I evaluate what I find?" increasing in importance.

Collecting in an open age has more to do with selection and preservation than with purchasing - but then, hasn't this always been what librarianship is about? Purchasing is a means to an end for libraries; it has never been the goal in and of itself.

If we find ourselves with time on our hands, why not find new roles as research team members, provide the in-depth research assistance we presently have no time for, and begin collecting and preserving important blogs and listsers?

There is a future for librarians, an exciting one, in an open age, if we choose to envision and pursue it. It is up to us!

Bernie Sloan's original message:
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0709/msg00060.html

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is that of the author alone, and does not reflect the opinion or policy of BC Electronic Library Network or Simon Fraser University Library

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com