Re: New strategy at NY Times and libraries

Don't count on advertising as providing any significant revenue stream for journals in the humanities and social sciences. In fact, since the introduction of electronic journals, advertising revenue has dropped substantially for journals in these fields because, for instance, the electronic versions in Project Muse do not carry the advertising pages and hence fewer eyeballs see them. Our rule of thumb now, as an advertiser, is to place ads only in membership-based journals because those, at least, are mailed in print form to every member of the association.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

I believe we will be seeing more publishers experimenting with doing away with subscription fees in favor of advertising revenues. Times Select met the NYT expectations, and was bringing in $10 million annually in subscription fees. The NYT thinks the upside from ad revenues will be greater. Granted, the NYT is not a scholarly journal, but I think this move will have a lot of people in the publishing industry sitting up and taking notice.

I may have mentioned this before, but if this sort of trend continues will it gradualy begin to marginalize the library, bit by bit? In other words, if more information becomes available freely will that lead people to think they need the library less?

Bernie Sloan