Re: Institutional Mandates and Institutional OA Repository Growth

Ah, yes, and if you'll remember our prior discussion about open access, Stevan, I warned that just this "success" might be the "tipping point" to drive a host of commercial and society publishers out of the business of journal publishing. One "tipping point" causes another? Witness, as partial proof, the reaction of STM publishers represented by the PRISM initiative. I read that as a warning that, if the government forces a change in their business model, they may just walk away from the business. I assume you wouldn't consider that a bad thing at all, but my question would be what kind of structure will take its place and what expectations will universities have of their presses to pick up the slack?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State Press

     Thomas, Chuck &  McDonald, Robert H. (2007)
     Measuring and Comparing Participation Patterns in Digital
     Repositories: Repositories by the Numbers, Part 1.
     D-lib Magazine 13 (9/10)
     http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september07/mcdonald/09mcdonald.html
     doi:10.1045/september2007-mcdonald

     EXCERPT: "As for mandatory-deposit repositories, the limited
     available data indicate authors represented in such repositories
     tend to contribute more of their intellectual output. Sale (2006)
     predicted institutions establishing deposit mandates were likely
     to see such results within three years of implementing these
     policies... This study's findings only reinforce such predictions
     and arguments favoring institutional mandates. As the data in this
     article show, a mandate is arguably the "tipping point" described by
     Gladwell (2000) that can make depositing behavior among scholars not
     just widespread, but also more of an ingrained and complete behavior."