Re: New strategy at NY Times and libraries

Not really, Ann.. I have seen the news reports. We buy the NY
Times Archive, and it covers the period now from Sep 18, 1851 to
Dec 31, 2003, and rolls forward one year periodically. The free
public domain content is an extra, but the period not covered
(1923-1986) is safely available within our archives. So, we at
this point don't plan any changes.

I think the ProQuest staff will probably re-evaluate the pricing,
based on this change, and I would suspect the price would come
down.

There's a common value in finding all content in a single
location; having users jump here or there or wherever isn't a
good strategy when you have a one stop option, IMHO. "Save the
time" applies here.

The most interesting point here is that subscription revenue
isn't as "good or rich" as ad revenue, so the NYT is changing
their model. This could bode well for other publications and
sites in the future. That is, an ad-only model can work well.

My $.02..

Best,
Michael
*speaking only for himself*

P. Michael McCulley, Librarian II / Information & Technology
San Diego Public Library, 820 E Street, CA 92101-6478
Phone: 619-238-6678 / FAX: 619-238-6639
E-mail: mmcculley@sandiego.gov

>>> ann.okerson@yale.edu 9/18/2007 4:43 PM >>>

Readers,

I forwarded a little while ago a piece of today's longer article
in the New York Times about their decision to stop charging for
archives and some current materials.  I believe libraries have
paid a significant sum of money for the back issues that will now
be available for free (e.g., before 1923).  Should we now be
dropping out of those arrangements?

This article may also be of interest in our thread about business
models to sustain publishing, even though the item at issue here
is a newspaper rather than a specifically scholarly journal or
database.

Ann Okerson/Yale