Re: NYTimes: Reed Elsevier's Online Ads

All large public companies live within the culture that expansion
and diversification is essential to long-term survival and, for
top management especially, to conciliating the goodwill of the
shareholders.* Like all scholarly publishers, Elsevier faces a
core market (research library acquisition budgets) that is both
saturated and in long-term decline and so feels the need to do
more of the same only better.

I agree with Joe that this is an attempt to generate additional
revenue, but rather than cherry-picking this development is more
likely to be a carefully selected trial to see what sort of
returns might be available on this business model, and what if
any crossover they might suffer in revenue and also negative
feedback, particularly amongst real, reading- and-writing
researchers.  This fits with other Elsevier approaches to
innovation, eg the toe dipped in the OA maelstrom with its
Sponsored Articles journals.

The other point that no-one has yet raised (unless I've missed
it), is the potential value stemming from the development of a
self-maintaining worldwide register of information-savvy
researchers in particular subjects:  authors, possible candidates
for targeted cross-selling, plus the opportunity for the company
to develop a buy-more-Els-products lobby within research
institutions - books, journals, Scopus, etc.

Maybe, he wrote with a smile, we will see an Open Adverts
citation advantage to match that claimed by advocates of other
business models.

Tony McSean

* And as an Elsevier shareholder I must declare an interest.