RE: NYTimes: Reed Elsevier's Online Ads

I have to concur that Elsevier's gamble is a really creative way
to play the market. They have taken note of the trend that many
Academic Medical Colleges have begun to follow - banning drug
reps from direct marketing on their campuses to avoid ethical
questions regarding undue influence on medical students,
clinicians, researchers, etc. Pharmaceutical companies have also
begun to explore how to meet the challenge because they depend a
great deal on direct marketing. Hence, the overwhelming success
(to the great consternation on the part of clinicians) of their
direct-to-consumer advertising.

However, I think it's a bit premature to jump to the conclusion
that this might spell the end of library subscription practices.
Taking a step back to look at the picture, the requirements for a
physician to participate in this venture are probably going to be
rather tightly monitored. I would doubt that just any general
practitioner/researcher could sign on if they were not
credentialed to be practicing/researching in the specific field
(although it's certainly possible that the inclusion criteria
will be much broader than I'm assuming).

Second, there will always be a huge population of students,
researchers, general public etc. who need/want to access the
literature and who are not eligible to sign on to the service.
The need for institutional subscriptions will not vanish. What
may be genuine concern stemming from this maneuver, particularly
if adopted by other publishers, could be the escalation of
institutional subscription prices. That may or may not be
moderated by revenues generated from pharmaceutical companies
supporting the model. Bottom line, from my perspective, is that
the really important issue to be addressed is ethical. Will the
medical establishment trade their emerging ethical standards
regarding pharmaceutical industry and similar influences on their
members for easy (free) access to pricey critical research? Lisa

Lisa S. Blackwell, MLS