Re: AAAS and JSTOR issues

David,

I respectfully say that you've misunderstood my point; no doubt I wasn't clear.

JStor's mandate is to serve non-profit customers only. I'm glad for that--it keeps this wonderful product affordable for the academic community.

AAAS, also a non-profit, serves a wider community that includes the for-profit sector: its mission statement indicates global engagement, as you noted. If AAAS used only JStor as an outlet for its online Science archive, it would not be able to provide it to the for-profit segment of its community. To fulfill its mission, AAAS must find an alternative for **that part of its audience**.

Nowhere did I say that AAAS ought to be making money, nor do I assume that they plan to do so. My suggestion is that AAAS continue to work with JStor to serve the non-profit community in the manner to which we've happily become accustomed. Let AAAS use another means to make the Science archive available to its for-profit audience. Hopefully at cost only.

I applaud AAAS serving a wide community. I find it frustrating when some other information providers demonstrate a profound lack of interest in serving the academic community; fairness dictates that I not then ask that AAAS leave out another market as long as it serves mine. And, frankly, I am heartened that AAAS's mission includes the widest audience because I want its values of science for societal good and integrity in science to infiltrate the corporate sector (much more to my taste than science in service to robber barons) as well as being a strong component of science education.

I'd also like the Science archive to remain affordable and accessible through JStor for our community.

Thanks for your kind patience,

Elizabeth E. Kirk
Associate Librarian for Information Resources
Dartmouth College Library
Hanover, NH 03755-3525
Elizabeth.E.Kirk@dartmouth.edu