Sent: 12 September, 2007 12:23 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: NYTimes: Reed Elsevier's Online Ads

Looks like Elsevier has been bitten by the Google bug, i.e., the
big bucks are in online advertising.

It looks like they are betting that the losses in subscription
revenue will be exceeded by the gains in online advertising
revenue: Elsevier "is taking a risk that its readers will drop
their paid subscriptions and switch allegiance to the new Web
site".

Reminds me a little bit of the NY Times Select free offers to
folks with ".edu" e-mail addresses.

I wonder if there will be lots of copycats if this Elsevier
endeavor is successful??

If it eventually turns out that publishers can do well with
online advertising revenues and don't need to rely on
subscriptions, what does that mean for libraries? There's a good
side ("extra" money because of dropping library subscription
costs). There's also a bad side (people thinking they need
libraries even less because they can get even more for free
online).

Bernie Sloan