Re: NYTimes: Reed Elsevier's Online Ads

One has to give credit to Elsevier for creative thinking: this is a stroke of genius! As for how it will generalize, I have my doubts. Pharmaceutical companies spend huge amounts on advertising. Imagine how one would support publishing, say, our "Journal of Speculative Philosophy" on this model.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State Press

Looks like Elsevier has been bitten by the Google bug, i.e., the big bucks are in online advertising.

It looks like they are betting that the losses in subscription revenue will be exceeded by the gains in online advertising revenue: Elsevier "is taking a risk that its readers will drop their paid subscriptions and switch allegiance to the new Web site".

Reminds me a little bit of the NY Times Select free offers to folks with ".edu" e-mail addresses.

I wonder if there will be lots of copycats if this Elsevier endeavor is successful??

If it eventually turns out that publishers can do well with online advertising revenues and don't need to rely on subscriptions, what does that mean for libraries? There's a good side ("extra" money because of dropping library subscription costs). There's also a bad side (people thinking they need libraries even less because they can get even more for free online).

Bernie Sloan

Ann Okerson <aokerson@gmail.com> wrote:

Of possible interest and a model to watch. What happens to
liblirary subscriptions? Will we need them? For whom, at what
price, etc? Ann Okerson

_______________________________

September 10, 2007
A Medical Publisher's Unusual Prescription: Online Ads
By MILT FREUDENHEIM

By some measures, the medical publishing world has met the advent
of the Internet with a shrug, sticking to its time-honored
revenue model of charging high subscription fees for specialized
journals that often attract few, if any, advertisements.

But now Reed Elsevier, which publishes more than 400 medical and
scientific journals, is trying an experiment that stands this
model on its head. Over the weekend it introduced a Web portal,
www.OncologySTAT.com, that gives doctors free access to the
latest articles from 100 of its own pricey medical journals and
that plans to sell advertisements against the content.

The new site asks oncologists to register their personal
information. In exchange, it gives them immediate access to the
latest cancer-related articles from Elsevier journals like The
Lancet and Surgical Oncology. Prices for journals can run from
hundreds to thousands of dollars a year.

Elsevier hopes to sign up 150,000 professional users within the
next 12 months and to attract advertising and sponsorships,
especially from pharmaceutical companies with cancer drugs to
sell. The publisher also hopes to cash in on the site's list of
registered professionals, which it can sell to advertisers.

Mainstream publishers have wrestled for years with the question
of how to charge for online content in a way that neither
alienates potential readers nor cannibalizes their print
properties. So far, few definitive answers have emerged. Reed
Elsevier, which is based in London, is taking a risk that its
readers will drop their paid subscriptions and switch allegiance
to the new Web site, which will offer searches and full texts of
the same content from the moment of publication.

"It's a calculated risk, a bold step into the unknown," said Dan
Penny, a senior analyst in London at Outsell, a market research
firm.

[SNIP]

Copyright 2007 The New York Times