Re: AAAS and JSTOR issues

I, too, am disappointed in the withdrawal of Science from JStor. JStor has been and continues to be one of the very best projects to take advantage of the Internet.

There is a key difference, however, in the missions of AAAS and JStor. JStor is dedicated to serving the public and non-profit sectors (to the best of my knowledge, and I speak from experience, JStor does not grant licenses to for-profit institutions). AAAS, itself a non-profit, has a broader mission and broader audience. If AAAS maintains an exclusive relationship with JStor, it would not be possible for its profit-side audience to enjoy access to Science archives.

If JStor were to become AAAS's vendor for non-profit and government agencies, all sides of the equation might be well served---AAAS's broader audience would have access to the archive through other means and JStor would be able to keep this title and its mandate.

If I am speaking through my hat, I welcome the correction of someone closer to either party.

Cheers,

Elizabeth E. Kirk
Associate Librarian for Information Resources
Dartmouth College Library
6025 Baker-Berry Library, Rm. 115
Hanover, NH 03755-3525
telephone: (603) 646-9929