Growth of OA journals

Heather Morrison has drawn my attention to the latest figures on
number of OA journals launched per year (as measured by the
'start date' given in the DOAJ).  The figures for all years have
increased significantly.  Contrary to what the figures showed
when I analysed them in 2005 (see
http://dx.doi.org/10.1087/095315106775122565), there now appears
to be a plateau from 2001 onwards:

1990 	19

1991	14

1992	11

1993	27

1994	28

1995	77

1996	112

1997	154

1998	151

1999	155

2000	269

2001	295

2002 	281

2003	278

2004	311

2005	289

I wonder whether anyone has analysed the proportion of
DOAJ-listed journals charging an author-side fee?  I for one
would be fascinated to know whether this has changed since the
finding, in ALPSP's 2004/5 survey (see
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?id=200&did=47&aid=270&st=&oaid=-1)
that only 48% charged an author-side fee.

Sally Morris
Email:  sally@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk