Duke U Press Chooses Tizra Agile PDF

This may be of interest to the members of liblicense.

Duke University Press Chooses Tizra Agile PDF to Expand their
eBook Offerings

*Branded publishing model offers an alternative to iTunes-style
aggregations

*September 6, 2007 (Providence, RI) - Tizra, Inc. announced that
Duke University Press has signed an agreement with Tizra to use
Agile PDF, a hosted publication sales and delivery service, to
repackage, deliver and sell their book-based content in an easy
to read electronic form.

The white-labeled Tizra platform will allow Duke to create and
manage a fully searchable, Duke-branded online storefront to sell
their books to individuals and institutions. Buyers will be able
to purchase individual chapters or pages, as well as collections
combining multiple works under a variety of licensing and pricing
models.

Duke University Press publishes approximately 120 books annually,
placing it among the 20 largest university presses in America.
Its journal program is in the top 5, with more than 30 titles.

"Our readers are a diverse audience of scholars and educated
readers," stated Stephen Cohn, Director of Duke University Press.
"We expect that Tizra's innovative system will over time allow
many new readers to discover our content, as well as allow us to
deliver new mix-and-match capabilities to those who already view
our publications as crucial for research, teaching, and
intellectual stimulation."

Driven by a web-based control panel, the storefront is easy to
use and designed to be controlled by non-technical publishing
staff.  With direct control over visual design, content, and
sales terms, the Agile PDF web service enables rapid exploratory
development and testing of products and pricing, differentiating
it from sites like Google and Amazon, whose product organization
and presentation are not under the control of the publisher.

According to David Durand, CEO of Tizra, "Duke University Press
holds a leadership position among university presses in applying
technology to scholarly communication.  We are delighted have
them as a charter customer, and to have the opportunity to help
them deliver content with such enduring value. Agile PDF
simplifies the management of a branded publication site just the
way blogging software simplified personal homepages, delivering
PDF content that was originally developed for print to readers
with the ease and familiarity of a custom-designed HTML website.

"We think that Tizra's on-demand platform offers advantages to
publishers who want a partner to help them get online without
being subsumed into a single iTunes-style marketplace that limits
control of product definition and branding."

About Duke University Press

Duke University Press is the publishing arm of Duke University.
It publishes cutting-edge academic work, primarily in the
humanities and interpretive social sciences--including both books
intended entirely for academic audiences and books appealing to
broad audiences. For more information, please visit
www.dukeupress.edu.

About Tizra, Inc.

Tizra's mission is to help businesses to flexibly package,
deliver, and sell information online.  Tizra's hosted solution
enables publishers to generate immediate revenue and gain
experience in the critical expansion of online information sales
beyond periodicals and databases and into longer forms of
content.  As the internet continues to transform information
delivery, Tizra enables customers to control their website,
product and terms of sale, and lets them focus on tuning their
products and strengthening customer relationships rather than
worrying about their technical infrastructure.  The company is
headquartered in Providence, RI. For more information about
Tizra, please visit www.tizra.com

####