Re: Nonaffiliation with PRISM

Interestingly, PRISM does NOT link to my paper in Learned Publishing on open access or to the AAUP Statement on Open Access of which my paper is an expansion. Therein lies a mystery.... (especially since Penn State is a member of PSP, though I do not endorse everything that PSP initiates, including PRISM).

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

Sorry to interrupt the discussion with this personal comment, but it's been brought to my attention by a couple of colleagues that PRISM's website includes a link to my recent editorial for _Learned Publishing_ titled "Open Access: Clear Benefits, Hidden Costs." There has been some question as to my relationship with PRISM, given both the presence of that link on their site and my frequent public expressions of OA agnosticism.

I want to make it clear that while I welcome PRISM to the ongoing discussion of OA issues, and think the discussion can only be enriched by the perspective of those who actually publish scholarly information, I have no affiliation whatsoever with PRISM and neither endorse nor oppose any of its initiatives. As time goes on, I'm sure that I'll agree with some of what they say and disagree with some of it -- just as I agree with some and disagree with some of what OA evangelicals say.

These issues are, in fact, quite complex, and the more input we can get from those likely to be affected by commercial and legislative developments in the realm of scholarly communication, the better.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dir. for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library
University of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu