Re: Homer Simpson at the NIH (renaissance?)

Joe,

I interpret this as a retreat from your original claim that the
big publishers are better placed to survive whether there is more
money in the system or less. And I suspect that there is a
definitional sleight of hand here. Do you mean by 'the system' in
which the money circulates, the existing "mostly closed access
journal publishing/library subscribing system"? If that is what
you mean, I would agree that the market is highly mature, there
will surely be more consolidation and the market so interpreted
will not grow much and may well shrink.

But the key point is that these are no longer closed systems or
market reservoirs in which cash slops from one pool to another in
a broadly conservative annual cycle. The needs of science,
technology and scholarship are growing at a prodigious rate --
internationally and within the internal dynamic of each
discipline. For these reasons a step change in the productivity
of publishing is to be expected and is almost inevitable since
the web makes this possible. Part of that step change will be an
increasing move to more open access, though I wouldnt be
surprised if it does NOT follow the Green or the Gold paths that
some proponents of Open Access reckon to be the inevitable way
forward.

Perhaps you agree that it was quite likely that the rather big
shifts in the information economy which are already happening
will have a significant impact on the still relatively
self-contained world of peer-reviewed journals within the five
yours that you mentioned.

I think the big publishers will face some big challenges in this
changing environment. The music majors (4 of them) have not been
so clever at shifting their business model to meet the same sort
of challenge....

Adam